Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Ablaze for God - Day 23 Devotional


“Your Prayer Reflects Your Intimacy with God”
Submitted by Evy Pixley
Key text: Deuteronomy 4:7


God is available for me each and every instant and second in my life. NO APPOINTMENT REQUIRED. I have access to the inner circle. I have His ear.

He has repeatedly answered my prayers over and over. . . I believe it is to prove to me His power and love.

He has given me his words and when I use the few words that have become a part of my life and my heart.. when I examine and meditate on them and incorporate them into my daily life, He has shown his power.

When a few short years ago I accepted Jesus as my Savior, I heard other people talking about intimacy with God it; seemed unattainable. Then I started praying .. really praying to God. No longer was I repeating memorized prayers hoping that by a multitude of repetitions I would earn the answer to my prayers. No longer did I pray with fear.

I began to express my own thoughts to God. Then, at the encouragement of a woman who had gone on a mission trip, I began to listen for God to speak to me. I never thought it would really happen. But God began to speak to me in specific ways in which He would get my attention. He made Himself credible to me. I know He gave me such positive reinforcement because He wants me to continue to seek a relationship through prayer with him.

With such results I sought a deeper relationship. Only recently have I been blessed with the most wondrous of experiences while listening for God to talk to me. I have thanked God and praised Him. I have learned that intercessory prayer for others is a privilege to which God has given me full and complete access. I can pray for family, for friends, even for strangers. The ability comes to me from the Holy Spirit. I have felt a swelling in my heart, a love. In a sense it is as romantic as the love I share with the husband with whom God has blessed me. It is not an everyday occurrence yet. But, I believe that with more cultivation through prayer and Scripture and on-going discipleship it is available to me and to each of us desiring such a relationship. And I thank God for it.

No comments: