Thursday, October 23, 2008

Ablaze for God - Day 39 Devotional


“Integrity in our Work”
Submitted by Kevin Kiss
Key text: Colossians 3:23

So there I am, standing atop an extension ladder preparing to apply stain to the gable peak of a beautiful Northwood's cabin when I'm stopped dead by a hole, no bigger around than my smallest finger. I stare at it, and as it stares back at me, I can only think one thing.

Caulk! That hole needs to be caulked before I can continue staining. No big deal, it'll take only thirty seconds to caulk a hole, right? Trouble is that the caulk is in the work truck, and I'm standing atop a ladder, forty feet above the ground. The truck is on the far end of the house, then up a long flight of steps, around the flower gardens and then up the sidewalk. Wow!

That's an exhausting thought, and a longer hike! Maybe I'll just stain it, forget the caulk. I mean, who's going to know? It isn't even visible from the ground.

'But I can't leave it', I argue back to myself, it has to be sealed to keep the insects out. It's big enough for bats to enter, and maybe even those cute little flying squirrels that chew on anything and everything and will make your home their home, by the dozens once let in, potentially costing hundreds or even thousands of dollars in damage to the structure. And, even if no one else knows, I will! It's now a "no-brainer"; I'm making my way down the ladder and up the hill on a six minute mission to get the caulk.

Colossians 3:23 tells us, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. Since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward."

Integrity on the job means doing the right thing, even when no one is looking. And the fact is that what we do on the job is always seen by One. Are we honest with ourselves and others, have we done the best job that we could? You see, ultimately we’re not just simply caulking holes. . . we’re actually laying a foundation, which lies buried and often unseen beneath the ground but will be revealed through the test of time.

No comments: